Monday, October 7, 2013

Strength in Numbers


I remember waiting to hear the news about what the neurologist said at that initial appointment.  They were headaches that were most likely migraines and nothing to worry about. Whew, a sigh of relief.  Then days later- a panicked phone call from one of my best friend’s in the whole world – you know, the kind of friend that feels like a sister. The kind of friend that you love so much – the kind of friend that her pain is your pain.  I remember Eda telling me that William’s MRA preliminary results had come in and that they were sending him straight to the ER to be admitted. I had this pit in my stomach – and there our journey began. 

It has been one of the hardest things to watch Eda and William fight this battle. They did not choose cancer...it chose them.  I have been blown away by the amazing strength, courage , composure, grace, hope and faith that they have demonstrated thus far in their fight against brain cancer.  Anyone that knows this beautiful family knows how great they are. They are blessings to all that know them, and their two girls are the the most precious dolls!! 

So many thoughts went through my head the first month while we were all adjusting to this diagnosis. One of the first things that came to mind was the importance of  capturing the moment.  To capture the big things, the small things, and all the things in between that we might take for granted. To take photographs and make hard copies of memories.  To live fully and love deeply - the right here, right now. This was their new story. Not the one they wanted nor chose, but the hand they were dealt.

I could think of no better way to capture the moment than to send an email  to the most amazing photographer I know, Shalonda Chaddock, asking for a favor.  I stumbled across Shalonda, photographer behind Chubby Cheek Photography, years ago and she immediately stole our heart.  She is one of those unique individuals that just has a glow and sense of warmth about her. I am serious. She just radiates energy and happiness and has this larger than life personality. Not only that but she’s just one of those people that always go above and beyond and inspires.  Her pictures say it all without any words.  Her pictures are the kind that capture relationships - every essence of the joy, love, laughter, and intimacy shared between families. Her pictures are absolutely beautiful treasures that capture the heart and soul of her client. They show love. They tell stories.  Not only is she oh so talented behind the camera, but she also has a heart of gold, and her reply to me came as no surprise. It read something along the lines of … Honestly I didn’t even have to read your entire email because I didn’t need to, but I will tell you that I am more than willing to do a free mini session.   She has a total servant’s heart of gold and such a incredible act of kindess for a total stranger.  I wanted to share with all of you these amazing pictures that so beautifully capture the love  shared between this special family.  These pictures tell a story of love but also in their eyes, I can see hope, faith, courage, tenacity, and perseverance. It’s everything they are fighting for---their family!








Be sure sure to check out her website at www.chubbycheekphotography.com!!

I have been amazed at the outpouring of kindness, compassion, and support for William and Eda. Team William is a dream team.  I can tell you that the overwhelming support that has poured in has indeed lifted them up...even in their darkest moments. There is something true about strength in numbers. You can feel it. We are stronger together, and it has been humbling and exciting all at the same time to see family, friends, and even total strangers band together.  Here is a quote that is close to my heart. Margaret Mead wrote, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world.”  While I don’t know if that is totally true, I do know that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change individual lives in the world. Thank you for loving my dear friend and being such an important part of our growing group, Team William, to  mobilize support for William and Eda. We can make a difference in their lives and unite with them as they hold strong to hope, show unwaivering faith and patience, and continue to gain strength in their fight against cancer.

Don’t forget to come out to our great benefit on October 26th!! We are going to literally surround William and Eda and their girls with so much love on this day and along the way, are going to raise some funds that will help cover their mounting medical costs. Spread the word! Hope to see you all there!


Love, Charlotte Eccles



No comments:

Post a Comment