Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Break from the Reality....


Message from William: 
Finally, I get some relaxation.  Maybe that’s not the right word, but I finished radiation on Monday, September 30, 2013, and my last dose of the first round of chemo was Saturday 28th, so I am finally getting back to acting as if things are normal.  And to some extent, they are.  I don’t have to go to radiation, so I can get back to more regular work hours.  I don’t have to take chemo, so I don’t have to keep a consistent bedtime, and I don’t have those treatments staring me in the face all the time anymore, so I don’t have a constant reminder telling me, “Don’t forget!  You’ve got cancer!” 
I don’t know what this break in treatment means physically, obviously, since I don’t have a scan until the end of the month, but mentally, it’s so much relief.  I’m sure there are people reading who have already heard me say this, but I can’t explain how much it means to me.  I did it.  I got through.  I beat the treatment, so now it’s up to the medicine to do its job.  My part is done for now. 
I had seen the bell on the wall in the waiting room at the radiation center, but I didn’t really understand what the big deal was.  It’s a bell.  We’ve all seen bells.  We’ve all heard bells.  It’s not Christmas yet.  What’s all the hubbub about?  And then it starts to make sense.  Everyone gathered around, including the doctor and the tech, and they make you realize that it is an accomplishment.  I rang it twice and shared the third with Abigail.  I hope she remembers doing it with me, and she probably will, because she forgets NOTHING. 
Yes, you just lay there every day for a few minutes on the table during radiation every day, but anyone familiar with the process knows it takes a toll.  Consider that race finished, and I couldn’t be happier. 
I know it’s a long road, and I know this is only six weeks, but each step is a big one, and this is the first of many.  Thank you for reading and praying and doing all the things you do. 
Specific prayers: 
1.     That the treatment worked and does as much good as possible. 
2.     That the months go by quickly so that I can get back on the road. 
3.     Prayers that the October 29th MRI will show no new tumor growth.   

Message from Eda:
 
This weekend William and several Team William supporters showed up to walk the Head for the Cure 5K.  God’s grace rained down on us literally!  We enjoyed this walk to raise money for brain cancer research.  Although it is thousands of times smaller than the Susan Komen walk for breast cancer awareness, we were all there mighty in spirit showing William that we are behind him to beat this!  William received a keeping the “faith” award and was presented with a glass trophy that had the word “faith" inscribed in it.  These words move us in so many ways.  Faith to believe we can do this and faith to believe God will guide our family on this journey walking with us every step of the way.  Thank you to all those who came out and walked or rather “danced in the rain” and showed their support!  We continue to be blessed by so many who are willing to offer help in all kinds of ways!  Thank you to each and every one of you!

Specific Prayers: 
1.     As William celebrates his 34th birthday this week, I pray that he has countless blessings this year!  (Birthday is Thursday October 17) 
2.     I pray that William continues to “Keep the Faith” and stay strong for his family and when he can’t, that I am there to pick him back up. 
3.     Pray that we all stay healthy during the beginning of cold and flu season.
4.     Prayers for a great turnout for the benefit so William will know how much support and rallying he has behind him to beat this!

Ringing the Bell

William and his Girls!
Family Photo
William and his radiation MD - Dr. Bloome
Go William - thanks Charlotte for the banner!



Team William Before the Head for the Cure Walk
William Pushing His Girls

















William and His Neuro-Oncologist Dr. Gilbert
Keeping the Faith Award


Remember Benefit October 26, 2013 

 

1 comment:

  1. It was such an incredible honor and pleasure to meet you all tonight! I hope you had a wonderful time here and have a safe and enjoyable flight home in the morning. You will continually be in my thoughts every day. I have full confidence that all the love being sent your way is going to help you get through this. Can't wait to see the pictures from the carnival next week!

    ReplyDelete